Deadpool: Terra Nova


I've been watching far too much television lately. And although I've had some good times, I have found myself often disappointed. Like many, many viewers, I watch a season of TV and get attached to a series of shows that end up abruptly cancelled. It doesn't seem like those people in charge have very much patience for anything that is not instantly a blockbuster.

You might be wondering why I've posted a picture of Deadpool here. Well, I've decided to play a little game. See, with all the cancellations occurring, a large amount of new programs will be coming this fall, and I've decided to create a dead pool bracket detailing which shows I think will die and when. I'm tackling Fox's 2011 Fall lineup first.

1.Terra Nova

I admit it, I am a fan of Sci-Fi, and as a student of all things literary, I believe that I can suspend my fair share of disbelief. There is, however, a limit to what I'll swallow before calling foul and this show has more holes than....a hole digging factory.

As per the description from Fox:
TERRA NOVA follows an ordinary family on an incredible journey back in time to prehistoric Earth as a small part of a daring experiment to save the human race. In the year 2149, the world is dying. The planet is overdeveloped and overcrowded, with the majority of plant and animal life extinct. The future of mankind is in doubt, and its only hope for survival is in the distant past.

Are you kidding me? For a show whose entire genre rests upon the idea that the concept should be at least remotely plausible, Terra Nova has gaping plot holes. Has no one considered the Butterfly Effect? The very instant the colony goes back in time they will be changing history, thereby creating an entire mess of the timeline and ruining the flow of history.



Or how about this little idear, transporting yourself back 85 million years ago is brilliant, considering that your colony, and therefore the human race, can get destroyed with the dinosaurs when the Permian-Triassic extinction event arrives. Of course, if you believe in intelligent design, then we wouldn't be going that far back anyways...Basically, this show is a logical mess from every standpoint right out of the gate. The rest of the show looks like standard, "we're living in the jungle" fare.


Deadpool result: Half a season
Although some people will probably relish the idea of watching dinosaurs on a regular basis on this mix between Lost and Jurassic Park
, I predict this one will fall because of a mixture of production costs and the glaring fact that the core premise is so inherently flawed.

Terra Nova via Fox

Comments

  1. You make some excellent points. I saw the preview for this before X-Men: First Class. First, I was intrigued because I'm all about some dystopia, which is what it seemed to be at first. Then the dinosaurs showed up, and I realized how stupid it looks. However, judging from the sheer ridiculousness of people who make TV shows and the majority of people who watch them, I would actually bet this might make it a full season, just because there are dinosaurs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts