Daily Comics Digression #5: Who is the Best Superhero?

Daily Comics Digression #5: Who is the Best Superhero?

Lol, what's Luigi doing in this pic?
After some of those heavier posts, let's lighten things up a bit. In a post that should not provoke any controversy whatsoever, let's talk about who is, objectively, the best superhero? There are many metrics to measure this, and it's a good idea to explore a few of them. Whatever you use as your measure, however, superhero lists inevitably tend to have the same few characters at the very top. If I were to put together a list of the most significant and influential superheroes, it would probably look something like this:


  1. Spider-Man
  2. Batman
  3. Superman
  4. Wolverine
  5. Captain America
  6. Iron Man
  7. Wonder Woman
Now, this is not a list of my favorite characters (although a few of my favorites are here). I'm measuring them by their cultural impact and significance. There are plenty of other noteworthy heroes who deserve high marks on such lists, but I think these selections have left an unmistakable mark on the zeitgeist, and they all tend to enjoy steady popularity through time. While other heroes like the other members of the Avengers or the Guardians of the Galaxy may enjoy a period of popularity, I don't think they will ever have the influence these seven have had. I expect that there may be some disagreement regarding this list, so feel free to let me know your thoughts! I'll be explaining my list in further detail as the week progresses. 

Comments

Popular Posts