Daily Comics Digression #19: Deadpool is a Teenager

Daily Comics Digression #19: Deadpool is a Teenager


Trailers for the new Deadpool film are getting released. And after being the literal embodiment of the 1990s for years, Cable is going to be seen on the silver screen. The first Deadpool movie has been hailed as a unique experience, a film that defies the standard superhero model. By embracing an R rating, Deadpool seemed to break new ground with critics who saw it as a breath of fresh air. Personally, I greatly enjoyed Deadpool's solo film. Of course, my expectations were so low you could trip over them. His previous appearance in X-Men Origins: Wolverine was so bad that I think it's a repressed memory for moviegoers. So it was a pleasant surprise to see a film that was action packed and hilarious at the same time. I don't think I've ever laughed as hard as I did at a superhero film then when I saw Deadpool

So many pouches.
However, there is one thing about the flick that bothered me: the inordinate amount of swearing. Now I'm no prude, but am I the only one who felt like the Deadpool film was like that pre-teen kid you know who just discovered the F-word and thinks its so cool to say it repeatedly because it makes his mom gasp? We get it, your film is not rated PG-13; that doesn't mean that every other word needs to slap me in the face purely for shock value. As bold as the movie was, there was a sense of unnecessary immaturity to it. I'm hoping that the new movie can take a step back and realize that you can make a different kind of superhero film without going so far into unneeded extremes.

And yes, I do realize how ironic it is for a me to be saying that a character made during the X-treme '90s should tone itself down. But if they can tone down the amount of pouches that Cable wears, maybe they can reduce the amount of times I'm going to have to cover the kids' ears.

Comments

Popular Posts